Share & tag megleonardco to show me how you enjoyed!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 1 lb raw shrimp (frozen, peeled & deveined is easiest)
- 8 oz penne pasta cooked to package instructions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cajun seasoning divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- diced tomatoes (optional, I don’t like tomatoes but this dish commonly includes them)
- fresh parsley optional
- Note: If you want to save time, grab a can of creamy alfredo sauce and add seasoning to it, skip sauce making steps & ingredients.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions. When finished, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, in a bowl, combine the shrimp, olive oil, and tablespoons cajun seasoning. Toss to coat.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat extra virgin olive oil, add the shrimp and cook until pink and cooked through, around 5 minutes. Remove the shrimp and set aside.
In a new pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in the flour. Very slowly, whisk in the half and half. You want to just whisk in a small bit at a time, so that you can create a roux. If you whisk in too much at a time you won’t get a nice creamy sauce. Skip this step if you want to use premade canned sauce. Just mix in cajun seasoning.
Once you have whisked in all of the half and half, stir in the parmesan cheese, melting it to combine. Then stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Skip this step if you want to use premade canned sauce. Just mix in cajun seasoning.
Stir in the pasta and return the shrimp to the pan. Serve with diced tomatoes and fresh parsley if desired.